Saoirse Ronan, Sam Rockwell, Adrien Brody and David Oyelowo Lead Ensemble Cast of Murder Mystery Due in Cinemas 2022
Searchlight Pictures announced today the full cast and crew for the recently completed feature production SEE HOW THEY RUN, directed by BAFTA award-winning director Tom George (This Country) from producers Damian Jones and Gina Carter, based on an original screenplay by Mark Chappell.
Shot in historic London locations earlier this year including the Dominion Theatre on Tottenham Court Road, St. Martin’s Theatre in the West End, and the Old Vic Theatre in Waterloo, SEE HOW THEY RUN features Sam Rockwell, Saoirse Ronan, Adrien Brody and David Oyelowo as part of an ensemble of acclaimed stage and screen talent. SEE HOW THEY RUN will debut in cinemas in 2022.
Photo by Parisa Taghizadeh / Courtesy of Searchlight Pictures
In the West End of 1950s London, plans for a movie version of a smash-hit play come to an abrupt halt after a pivotal member of the crew is murdered. When world-weary Inspector Stoppard (Sam Rockwell) and eager rookie Constable Stalker (Saoirse Ronan) take on the case, the two find themselves thrown into a puzzling whodunit within the glamorously sordid theatre underground, investigating the mysterious homicide at their own peril.
“We have been enamoured with Tom George and his work with the BBC for years,” said Searchlight heads of film production Katie Goodson-Thomas and DanTram Nguyen. “His knack for bringing stellar performances from an ensemble cast across multiple genres made him the perfect choice to lead the talented team of See How They Run. We are pleased to welcome several members of the Searchlight family back to the fold like Saoirse, Sam, Adrien and David for this entertaining whodunit.”
“Making my debut feature with a company like Searchlight and this incredible cast has been a total dream,” said George. “I’m so excited to bring this thrilling, smart, funny murder mystery to audiences. Doing so with the company behind such brilliant ensemble films as Jojo Rabbit, Birdman and The Grand Budapest Hotel has really been the perfect fit.”
- Academy Award winner Sam Rockwell (Jojo Rabbit; Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri) as Inspector Stoppard, a seasoned official who thinks he’s seen it all…until now
- Academy Award nominee Saoirse Ronan (Little Women; Brooklyn) as Constable Stalker, the indefatigably ambitious rookie on the case
- Academy Award winner Adrien Brody (The French Dispatch; The Pianist), as Leo Köpernick, an unscrupulous film director with a flair for drama
- Golden Globe and BAFTA nominee David oyelowo (Selma; The Butler) as Mervyn Cocker-Norris, celebrated writer, charged with adapting the successful stage play into a film
- Golden Globe and BAFTA winner Ruth Wilson (His Dark Materials; The Affair) as Petula Spencer, a West End theatre impresario eager for her starring role
- BAFTA winner Reece Shearsmith (High-Rise; Inside No. 9) as John Woolf, the esteemed film producer looking to shoot magic adapting a popular stage play to film
- Emmy nominee and BAFTA winner Sian Clifford (Good Grief; Fleabag) as Edana Romney, Woolf’s wife
- BAFTA winner Shirley Henderson (Stan and Ollie; Southcliffe) as a Dame known to all by name alone
- BAFTA winner Charlie Cooper (This Country; Avenue 5) as Dennis the Usher, who witnesses more than a curtain call
- Jacob Fortune-Lloyd (The Queen’s Gambit) as Gio, the inscrutably handsome taxidermist hiding a secret lover
- Tony and Olivier nominated stage actor Paul Chahidi (This Country; “Twelfth Night”) as Fellowes, a butler working for the Dame
- Pearl Chanda (War of the Worlds; I May Destroy You) as Sheila Yes, a celebrated actress from the play hoping to make the leap to film
- Harris Dickinson (Beach Rats; County Lines) as Dickie Attenborough, Sheila’s suspicious husband
- Pippa Bennett-Warner (Gangs of London; Harlots) as Ann Saville, Woolf’s assistant and mistress
SEE HOW THEY RUN is produced by Damian Jones (The Iron Lady), following previous Searchlight collaborations such as Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie, Belle, and Goodbye Christopher Robin. Gina Carter (Bright Young Things) also produces. The film features an original screenplay from acclaimed writer Mark Chappell (BBC’s A Young Doctor’s Notebook; Netflix’s Flaked) and an impressive roster of craftspeople including editor Peter Lambert (The Personal History of David Copperfield), director of photography Jamie Ramsay (Mothering Sunday), production designer Amanda McArthur (How to Build a Girl), costume designer Odile Dicks-Mireaux (Brooklyn), hair and makeup designer is Nadia Stacey (The Favourite), and production sound mixer Martin Beresford (Misbehaviour).
ABOUT SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES
Searchlight Pictures is a global specialty film company that develops, produces, finances and acquires motion pictures for both worldwide theatrical and streaming releases. It has its own marketing and distribution operations, and is part of The Walt Disney Studios, a division of The Walt Disney Company. Founded in 1994 as Fox Searchlight Pictures, the company’s titles have grossed over $5 billion worldwide, amassing 28 Golden Globe Awards, 49 BAFTA awards, and 43 Academy Awards including five Best Picture winners since 2009: Slumdog Millionaire, 12 Years a Slave, Birdman, The Shape of Water, and Nomadland. Searchlight and Hulu recently released Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson’s award-winning documentary feature Summer Of Soul (…Or, When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised) in partnership with Disney’s Onyx Collective. Upcoming releases include David Bruckner’s The Night House, Michael Showalter’s The Eyes of Tammy Faye, Scott Cooper’s Antlers, Guillermo del Toro’sNightmare Alley, Wes Anderson’s The French Dispatch, and Taika Waititi’sNext Goal Wins. The company includes Searchlight Television, which develops and produces series for streaming, network, and cable partners.